Treatment is for individuals and professionals currently in or seriously interested in recovery.
The Focus of our Current Practice
We provide a place for professional health care workers to come and experience ibogaine in a confidential and private setting where there is no concern of violation or exposure of their credentials that could risk the loss of their license or reputation.
On this Page:
It cannot be stressed enough – this is a highly personal experience, and each individual’s journey will be uniquely suited to his or her specific needs. Not everyone will experience visions or witness memories of childhood (for those that do, it may or may not be in an emotionally detached way). This will not affect the success of your treatment. The medicine works on many levels simultaneously – many of which we are not consciously aware of. On the day following treatment many are left with the impression that it “didn’t work” or that they would “never recommend this to anyone.” We are continually reminding people to wait a few days before they pass judgment. For some this may be the beginning of a long, arduous process. Sometimes more than one treatment is necessary. It all depends on where you are on your path of unfolding. If you are dealing with a hard-core addiction process, the medicine may only be able to work on the physical part of your addiction. You may need to return for another treatment to work on the mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects of your process.
1 ) All medications that you are taking must be listed on the application so that you can taper off any medications that are contraindicated with Ibogaine. There are some cross contradictions with certain psychiatric and QT prolonging medications. Common medications like antidepressants will need to be tapered down for several weeks prior, with no dosages for seven days prior to treatment. Clients can resume their normal prescribed medication 48 hours after treatment.
2) In the days leading up to your treatment it is a good idea to modify your diet. Whenever possible avoid fried, fatty, salty, or overly processed foods, esp. pork or refined sugars and carbohydrates. Instead eat lots of whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fish, and chicken. For five to seven days before your treatment it is advisable to take a B-12 capsule, 3000 mg of Vitamin C, potassium, magnesium and calcium supplements daily, along with one aspirin. Avoid grapefruit and tonic water (it contains quinine.) These have an effect on QT prolongation, an abnormal heartbeat, which has caused problems during Ibogaine treatments.
3) Hydrate the day before. Drink lots of juice or an electrolyte drinks. You will want to reduce your ingestion of liquids as we approach the treatment time (approx. 4 hours before) because it will be difficult to get up and use the bathroom during the initial phases of the session.
4) On the day of your treatment, eat lightly in the morning or not at all. Nothing after 10 AM. Fruit like papaya, coconut juice, mango etc. with yogurt and granola is a perfect morning breakfast before treatment, No bacon and eggs with potatoes, style. Your stomach must be empty for the medicine to work properly. A shower no perfume or deodorants should be used, just your clean open self going in.
5) Set a clear intention, and try to sit with it the day of the treatment. This shouldn’t be thought of as a road map or something to hang expectations on but as a way to get centered within yourself.
1) Drink lots of water to help flush out the toxins that were cleaned out. Plan for a shower or bath the day after your journey. This will help to wash away any residual physical and mental toxins that were cleared out the night before. Whether you have been abusing substances or not there are several supplements you may consider taking to help regulate the chemistry of your “new” brain.
2) The most important are omega-3 fatty acids which are usually taken in the form of fish or flax seed oils. It lubricates the synapses for neuron communication and new growth, Vitamin B6 aids in dopamine and serotonin synthesis. It can be found in many cereal grains (e.g. oatmeal) as well as in beans, bananas, peanuts, and chicken. Vitamin B12 helps to maintain healthy nerve cells. B-12 IM injections have been helpful post to address sugar cravings, it allows for the body to absorb sugar which alleviates the craving. It is found in oysters, clams, liver, trout, salmon, eggs, and dairy foods. Also good are 5-HTP (a serotonin precursor), L-tyrosine & L-phenylalanine (dopamine precursors), D-phenylalanine & DL-phenylalanine (endorphins), and GABA. Your body, If you listen, will guide you to the proper foods you need.
3) Therapies are very beneficial in the days following your treatment. Massage, reiki, rolfing, acupuncture, and energy work will all help move stuck energies in the body, also any water therapy or hot springs the warm ocean if available, even cold rinses will activate endorphins if you’ve been opiate dependent, although difficult in the moment the benefit far exceeds the brief discomfort. Although not included, we can arrange these types of therapies during your stay.
4) Ibogaine is a dream herb. If you don’t already keep a dream journal, you may consider starting one prior to and continuing after your session. Useful information regarding your continued growth is often revealed through the dream world. We encourage you to document your experience. This will not only help you to make more concrete the changes that have taken place within your psyche, but it will lead to a greater understanding of the Ibogaine healing process. Be creative, and don’t forget to include what may be perceived as negative aspects of your treatment. We need to know as much as we can about the use of Ibogaine. If you choose to share an account of your experiences, don't include your name, and know that it will be held in the strictest confidence.
5) It is very important to return to an environment conducive to your healing. The first 12-24 days are especially critical. This is the time that your neural pathways are being re-established. If you return to an unhealthy situation you risk recreating your old self and revisiting the old patterns you have just worked so hard to dismantle. Please allow yourself sufficient time to stabilize. Once your new self has become firmly established, you will find it possible to interact in a stable, healthful manner with elements of your past that may have previously led to psychological, emotional, or spiritual imbalances. Giving time to integrate the experience is essential to a long lasting experience of change. People like to get up and get going its difficult to resist the old drive to do more when doing less is the best conditions to rebuild in.
6) It is important to have a good support network. Having a therapist, spiritual counselor, or close friends that you can meet with in the weeks and months following your treatment are almost a prerequisite. You can contact us at any time by phone if you need to consult with us as your treatment unfolds. Remember! Things will come up. That is the nature of this medicine. One of the ways it teaches is by showing you your unconscious, conditioned behaviors in amplified form so that you can become consciously aware of them. Don’t panic when something seemingly negative comes into your field of. Although it seems counter-intuitive, this is what we are after. You will have in each of these moments the opportunity to make a decision on how you wish to live your life. Will you choose to live out your old patterns or take the opportunity to create a new way of being? The choice is yours. In this state of heightened awareness in the months following your session you will be given the chance to choose the way you want to react to your environment without the fear based automatic responses that formerly were acted out in an unconscious manner.
As our knowledge from years of practice with the Iboga , we began to merge with scientific evidence, we have expanded our uses of Ibogaine therapy. We developed a deeper interest in understanding and using the treatment for other compulsions, including sexual addiction, workaholism, shopping addiction, and other obsessive compulsive patterns. We’ve also begun to incorporate Iboga plant medicine for classic emotional conditions, PTSD, Depression, Trauma, old imprints we adopted for survival that no longer were serving us,
this level of healing, included core inner work that eases behaviors often underlying addiction, such as self-abandonment, Betrayal, Distrust, leading to self medicating, creating other types of emotional dysfunction, that seemed to rule our lives. While we provided addiction interruption for 16 years we are now looking towards the community of health care professionals who are becoming attracted to the use of psychedelics for multiple emotional conditions. This renaissance of open mindedness towards these plants is expanding and growing. We are hoping to assist in training and providing a confidential experience to those that may not be able to risk exposing their profession publicly. We’ve created a space for people to come that's focused on your opportunity to become supportive in this growing industry of psychedelic therapy. Ibogaine is one of the longest and hardest journeys and the more we can share with professionals the more people can receive care and support before and after the experience.
We feel that after 16 years of addiction interruption that our most useful place is providing for people already on a path of recovery, people who have already been free of active addiction but still struggle with the imprint of drugs in their body and mind, this is called “reset therapy” and is still something we feel we can offer under the current small intimate space we’ve created working with 1 or 2 people max at a time.
Psycho-Spiritual Maladies & Therapy
Iboga has a profound ability to guide people into a journey of self-reclamation.
While most patients undergo Ibogaine therapy as a way to recover from serious drug addiction, it also offers recovery from many other psychological issues including depression, anxiety, and trauma. The medicines deeply personal and illuminating nature allows patients to let go of different types of patterns unrelated to drug use. Therapy for pyscho-spiritual maladies can life changing for those who suffer from chronic depression, anxiety disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), childhood trauma, compulsive fear, bi-polar disorder, and OCD, as well as addictions issues classified as ‘atypical’ such as shopping, sex, food addiction, workaholism, and negative thinking. For people who suffer from any of these afflictions, Iboga offers a new light & alternative therapeutic approach that is backed by hundreds of years of traditional use, many thousands of successful anecdotal cases, and more and more scientific validation.
For a more complete reference or insight into our process of using Ibogaine therapy for psycho-spiritual maladies, please read on to Reset Therapy below.
Reset Therapy is defined as someone who once had exposure to drugs and are now off them but still feel like something is missing inside, that they don’t feel good naturally and struggle to get through the day. Ibogaine - regardless of your last use of drugs - removes the imprint from the time of exposure. It allows the body to move forward and heal faster than waiting 7 years for your cells to replace themselves. ibogaine re-writes a fresh slate from any past drug use or alcohol abuse. It is especially helpful in long term antidepressants or anti manic drugs which affect the synapses of communication of your neurotransmitters, ibogaine is like clean voltage and regenerates the communication of feel good transmitters like dopamine, serotonin etc. A lot of people end up on pain meds for an injury but still have residual side effects even years after the body physically heals. Methamphetamine does the most damage to the way the brain functions and it's a common theme to relapse for years after heavy use. ibogaine creates nero plasticity where the brain physically heals from the damage of Meth use.
It's an opportunity to move past an old chapter , but a whole change in behavior and self care must be implemented in order for the treatment to be effective. The Ibogaine will give a fresh start but need to practice every day new behavior and change if any long term healing will take place. What may seem like a long time to feel better, if compared to no treatment most people regress into picking up, the analogy 25 miles into the forest is 25 miles out, how you get out determines the value of comparison, Crawling 25 miles in, skipping 25 miles out completes the image. Time is essential to healing it's just part of the deal.
As administrators of this medicine, we have witnessed a ‘glow’ typically within the 1st week after completion of the initial treatment. This state of well being lasts a couple months generally, and is a window of opportunity There is a natural ‘openness’, an ability to look at oneself objectively, New practices like breath work , yoga , exercise , therapy, meditation, practicing presence , dietary improvements, exploring new programs, all seem like the next right thing to do.
On the day following treatment many are left with the impression that it “didn’t work” or that they would “never recommend this to anyone.” We are continually reminding people to wait a few days before they pass judgment. For some this may be the beginning of a long, arduous process. Sometimes more than one treatment is necessary. It all depends on where you are on your path of unfolding. If you are dealing with a hard-core addiction process, the medicine may only be able to work on the physical damage of your addiction. You may need to return for another treatment to work on the mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects of your process.
Our Environment & Facility
Our facility in San Miguel de Allende is our own home. When you are here, we operate as a “family” of Ibogaine therapy providers committed to furnishing our clients with a comfortable place to experience Ibogaine for both emotional and physical detoxification. We offer a safe, clean, and calm setting, and will assist you in whatever you may need to follow through with your decision to change.
This is an environment supported with the efficacy of Ibogaine. This is also a completely free will clinic. Your ability to move past your present circumstance depends on your intentions. We have a great respect and understanding of the path you have chosen, and we do our best to provide empathy rather than sympathy.
We do not allow friends or family at the clinic during the treatment or on the day or two following Ibogaine therapy sessions. It is important that the person doing this work has the opportunity to look fully into oneself, without any outside elements. If a friend or family member decides to accompany you, they will be responsible for their own food and accommodations.
The Awakening in the Dream House is not a traditional facility where the “client” is separate from the “staff.” Our intent is to dissolve the illusion of separation that is at the core of the addiction process.
Safety & Health
Ibogaine treatment causes wear and tear on the body similar to surgery with anesthesia. The recovery rate is similar, and rebuilding strength and stability in recuperation is gradual. At times several days in bed are required before being comfortable. It is necessary to be sure your body will be strong enough to endure the treatment. Requested medical reports are to be completed, “in advance” for a proper outline of health. Abnormal, irregular, or falsified tests pose serious threats to the outcome of Ibogaine treatment. EKG and Blood Work/liver Panel are mandatory prior to arrival in Mexico. A physical evaluation by our doctor is the determining factor; any question about the stability of your health may cause us to postpone or cancel the treatment. A compromised cardiovascular system, pulmonary thrombosis, high blood pressure, varicose or damaged veins, skin abscesses. or other blood clotting problems increase the risk of blood clots moving to your lungs in an Ibogaine treatment. Documented side effects of bradycardia, (lowering of the blood pressure and pulse), must be monitored. Please be informed that these conditions directly affect your health and increase the risk of possible death or injury.
Your Medical History
Prior to treatment you will need to fill out an application providing a detailed medical history and mental health assessment. We ask you to return the application form as soon as possible so that we will have sufficient time to pass on any important information to you to help you prepare for your treatment. For example, if you are taking an anti- depressant like Prozac, you will need to taper off it in the days preceding your treatment. We will give you detailed instructions on how to do this. Similarly, if you have any heart or liver conditions, we will need to accurately assess your situation in order to help to prepare you for a safe treatment.
It is important that we accurately know your mental health history. We do not exclude those with pre-existing psychological disorders; however, those with psychotic and schizophrenic disorders need to be evaluated, and we must be informed of any medications you are currently taking.
After you arrive our MD will do a full physical evaluation, and one of our primary facilitators will complete the intake process. We will review your application and make sure you have followed the pre-treatment protocol. If we have any concerns regarding your physical or mental conditions at this time we will update your tests at the local hospital. Your health is our primary concern.
We will not treat anyone with the following conditions:
- Active infections including ulcers, pneumonia, or skin abscesses
- History of blood clots or coagulation abnormalities
- Cerebellar dysfunction
- Chronic fainting
- Uncontrolled Diabetes
- Crohn’s Disease or Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Gastric Ulcer
- Heart disease, heart murmurs, or heart arrhythmias
- Unmedicated high blood pressure
- Kidney Disease
- Liver disease including hepatitis with liver enzymes over four times normal
- Serious psychiatric disorders
THE BWITI SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINE
Bwiti practitioners use the root bark of the Tabernanthe iboga plant, specially cultivated for the religion, to promote radical spiritual growth, to stabilize community and family structure, to meet religious requirements, and to resolve pathological problems.
THE BWITI INITIATION
The root bark has been consumed for hundreds of years in a Bwiti rite of passage ceremony, as well as in initiation rites and acts of healing. The experience yields complex visions and insights anticipated to be valuable to the initiate and the chapel.